Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Have You Unintentionally Disinherited Your Kids?

Jim formed a close friendship with his widowed neighbor after the death of his wife of 38 years as a way to cope with his loss. After time, this friendship grew and soon after, they were married. Unfortunately, a few years later, Jim died and because he had moved all of his assets into joint tenancy with his new wife, all his assets went directly to his new wife, completly disinheriting his children.

How have you planned your estate? If you have everything left to your spouse, what will happen if you die first. Even if he or she doesn't remarry, as in Jim's case, will he or she be able to manage their assets on their own? Have your planned for the potential for incapacity? With the number of blended families these days, the problem of how to provide for your spouse without disinheriting your children (especially those from a previous marriage) is huge.

So how can we solve these problems? A trust can provide for your surviving spouse while he or she is living, then upon your spouse's death, the remaining assets will go to your children. Depending on the size of your estate, some assets could be segregated out specifically for your children and/or grandchildren. A trust will give you added assurance - it can protect your children's inheritances.

Each family is unique, which is why it takes careful planning with an experienced attorney who can look at various factors and options for your specific needs. CALL LIVING TRUSTS BY AMY 925-301-7195 TODAY to schedule your free consultation.

Disclaimer: The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation. We invite you to contact us and welcome your calls, letters and electronic mail. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.

No comments:

Post a Comment