• Hospitalization or terminal medical diagnosis
• Change in family status (marriage, divorce, death, birth of a child)
Many of the reasons that cause people to stop procrastinating and get things in order is when they are forced to face their own mortality. For many, once we begin to come to terms with the inevitable, we begin taking those steps to prepare and protect our loved ones.
Without some "push" we can easily find an excuse to put this on the "to do" list but never get it done. Here are some common excuses:
- I/We don't have time
- I/We can't get all the paperwork together
- I/We don't have the money
- I/We need help from a family member and that person is just too busy
- I/We don't have much and therefore don't need anything
- Don't know anyone who I would want to have raise my kids if something happens to us
- Don't have the money, and for many superstitious people....
- If we do it (write a will, buy life insurance, etc.) something bad will happen to us
- Time: It may take a few hours now, but it will take your loved one years later if you don't
- A small investment now will same your estates tens of thousands later
- Everyone need some planning - unless you want someone else to make your decisions for you.... like the State and a Judge.
- If you don't pick someone to raise your children if you can't, the State and a Judge will decide for you.
- If you do it or don't do it.... we are all going to die someday. Being prepared will only make it easier for your loved ones to grieve since there will be a lot less hassle.